Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Edible Foxtail Grass ~ Osage Orange (Hedge Apple)

My family already thinks I'm nuts, but thanks to The 3 Foragers, I have collected foxtail grass seeds to dry and eat (see disclaimer on blog, always get expert advice when foraging).



I found out that I can grind the seeds, add it my flour to extend it.  I can also replace poppy seeds in muffin and bread recipes with Foxtail grass seeds.  I may also be grinding them and adding them to add nutty flavor to breads and other muffins (in place of buying walnuts).


 (My son holding a grass burrowing spider)


I did some more research on the hedge apples.  Other than being a Eco-friendly spider control, they are not edible (nor poisonous).  However, I have also read that the cleaned seeds from them are edible.  I hope that my foraging friends can help me out to verify that also.  I am heading over to my library Web site, to order more foraging books to read.


In doing a bit of Internet searching, I did find this interesting Web site where people can ask questions about hedge apples and post their experiences with using them for pest control:  Hedgeapple.com.


The most interesting finding, regarding hedge apples, is that they can be dried and used for firewood (watch out for sparks).  In trying times, this information is useful to learn.  There are many interesting facts about hedge apples, and all of the names used to refer to them, at Hedgeapple 101.


I located more interesting information from the Tree Blog as well.


There are even poems about Hedge Apples.  Hedge apples are even an inspiration to artists:  Little Pig Pottery.

I have heard that squirrels will eat them, as well as white tail deer.  However, I read that the apples can get lodged in the esophagus of livestock.  This adventure in researching hedge apples has been fun.  

Now, I must get busy and figure out how to use the black walnuts from our Black walnut tree.  

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this is such a good reminder that everything in nature is useful on some level. Our indiginous ancestors, on all the continents, knew that...

Anonymous said...

Foxtail grass? Really? That's awesome. I'm going to have to experiment with that!

Candy C. said...

It's amazing how much information is out there that our grandparents probably took for granted! :)

Denise said...

Be sure to wear gloves when you shell the outer green layer off of those black walnuts. They will turn your hands brown. They also make a really great brown dye for cloth or yarn. Black walnuts are really good to eat too!

Anonymous said...

You can eat foxtail grass? Awesome!!! I'm going to have to try that for sure. Thanks for the post.

Lelani said...

Fantastic to learn that Setaria parviflora, Foxtail Grass is indeed edible. I have collected dried and clean seed and sampled them even put them on salad before. Great to know others are using this species with any ill affects.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Lelani, check the blogspot http://the3foragers.blogspot.com/ for lots of foraging recipes. That is where I got most of my help, as well as foraging books and speaking with professional foragers. I have a disclaimer on my blog, because I only express my experiences. I am not a professional at foraging and I do recommend seeking assistance before eating anything wild.