Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Kitchen Madness


We finally got some rain.  It's back to humid and hot.  


I've been busy in the kitchen - freezing green peppers, jalapenos, more green beans, some tomatoes, and cauliflower.  Our popcorn is on, and looks pretty promising (although small), but my watermelon is questionable.

What else have I been up to?




I canned 10 - 1/2 pints of homemade ketchup. That used up 20 pounds of tomatoes.  I'll have a "how to" post on this ketchup soon.



(onions cooking in butter)
(Onion soup cooling)

I cooked up and froze 6 quarts of homemade onion soup (Ball Blue Book recipe), using organic beef broth, and homegrown onions.  I love the smell of onions cooking in real butter.  Mmmm!  That used us 4 pounds of onions.

Update on this soup 3/4/2015:  It is very versatile in meal planning.  I have used it as a base for a potato/corn chowder (or soup), and also for a homemade crock pot Pasta e Pagioli.  With the onions in the broth, it's a wonderful to have on hand during winter months.  It saves money and time as well.




I pulled out the dehydrator and dried more onions, and ground it down for onion powder.



Cut more rosemary to stock up for winter and spring.




The kids are back to school.  Sigh....baked them homemade chewy granola bars to pack in their lunches.



I roasted a few smaller spaghetti squashes, and made our favorite dinner with it.  This has fresh tomato, basil, onion, garlic, olives and feta cheese.  Mmmmm!   I roast them in a bit of water (cut side down), covered in foil, vs. oil as the recipe suggests.  My youngest goes back for seconds with this dish.
 



I got a few more of these granny dishcloths finished.  They are pretty quick to make.  I found the tutorial online (Miss Abigail's Hope Chest).

.......and I'm back in the kitchen today.  I think I'm going to need another pot of hot coffee.  First, I must go get my laundry on the line and care for the chickens.

8 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you for all the links! I am going to make those granola bars as I'm always looking for healthy snacks (that I can make myself). And YES on the ketchup post! I only made one half pint last year and was not satisfied with the results. You must be exhausted by the end of the day!

Connie said...

I'm so happy that I read your post this morning. This is my shopping day. I love spaghetti squash and usually eat it with butter and salt and pepper, but tonight I'm going to try it your way. It looks so yummy! I'm always looking for new fresh ideas. Food should never be boring :) I am new to gardening and yesterday I grated zucchini and put 10 - 3 cup bags in the freezer to use in my zucchini bread recipe through the winter. I thought that they might be good to add to soup also. Do you freeze zucchini, if so how and for what purposes. Like I said, I'm new to country living and gardening and I can use all the helpful hints that I can get.
Keep Smiling.
Your blogging sister,
Connie :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I see on the granola bar recipe I left out the amount of vanilla. I'll double check it, but it can't be more than 2 tsp. More likely 1 tsp. I'll post as soon as I double check that.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Connie, I freeze my zucchini every garden season (when I have it). I grate some to freeze for breads and muffins (even cornbread). I slice in coins and 1/2 coins and freeze for casseroles, sauces, stir-fry, and other baked dishes. I do blanch the coins or slices of zucchini before I freeze it.

Mama Pea said...

The onion soup looks WONDERFUL! I'm going to pull out my Blue Book and look at the recipe.

Your "in hand" green pepper looks much larger than mine posted recently. You win!

I have so much to do outside right now. Rain Monday and Tuesday. Today no rain (yet) but it's very gray and very, very wet out there. I really MUST pick blueberries and raspberries but I'll have to put on a wet suit to do it!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I had to laugh when I saw the picture after I took it. It was the only pepper that big though. The rest were smaller, but still crunchy and good. The onion soup smells so good. I have used up almost all of our home grown onions now - only a few left. I did lose some that simply did not grow, but may grow more (or larger ones) next year.

My Garden Diaries said...

What an inspiring post friend! Boy have you been busy!! I need to look at that recipe for those granola bars...they look amazing! And those dishcloths are awesome!!! Thanks for sharing all of this goodness...I am off to check it all out! Happy week to you! Nicole xoxo

Michelle said...

Wow you have been busy. I am going to try your recipe for dinner tomorrow. I love squash. Your granny squares look great.