Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Leaves are falling


It was pretty cold yesterday.  However, we are not heating just yet here.  I like how the leaves on the ground make a dark day bright.  I could not rake them up just yet.  These will eventually go on the garden (unless a big wind whips them away before then).

See that pot of geraniums?  I have two actually. Mid summer when my original plants died, I bought them at the grocery store, half dead and for pennies.  They are still blooming, while the hostas are turning for the fall season.

I was successful in drying an entire.....

. . . load of towels outside yesterday.  The sun finally arrived about dinner time, but the wind was perfect for drying.


I have been using my latest project - magnetic clipboard.  I posted it over on my S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot (linked) to share.  My kids are constantly stealing my paper or pen, and this has really helped stay organized.  I love it!  I will have to make a few more of these. 

Today I get to cross something off the winter prep list - chimney sweep.  Yay!  They come today finally.  Boo on the cost.

Yesterday my egg production total was 3.  That is better than 0, but I must get my heat lamp out this weekend.  With the lack of sunshine, I am sure the heat will help the ladies.




Something new ~  taught myself the purl stitch, using the crochet afghan hook and #8 crochet thread (75% cotton, 25% acrylic).  Not my favorite stitch (I like knitting this stitch better), but I learned something new.  I am crocheting us a few extra cleaning cloths in the process.  Although this stitch is not a favorite, I find these to make a nice thick square or panel for a cotton blanket or throw too. 




Five Minutes for Me ~ my plan today is to read this article.  Can you read the caption?  It says "Taking these strategic steps may land you a quiet place to work on your projects," by Lauren Carter.  It's referring to writing projects.  Although the photos are quite "out there" in my opinion, I'm going to create a writing space somewhere, somehow.  It may not be on the back porch on a table, or in a cabin, on on a lake, but I'm determined.  I think I'll mix up a glass of elderberry oxymel and club soda, and don my sweatshirt.  I need a porch "fix" today (before we store up the furniture for the season).

I better get this posted and get busy.  The kids left the front room in a bit of a tizzy, and that is where the wood stove is.  A strange heavy fog has rolled in, and the outdoors looks strange this morning. 

3 comments:

Susan said...

It is so important to create a space for creating! I am so much better at espousing this than actually following it, but I am aiming for a space of my own, too. Unfortunately, every space is shared with dogs and cats. Our leaves are on the ground, too. I love the smell, sight and sound of them.

Mama Pea said...

A space of your own. Ahhh, yes. I can't tell you how many years I quilted on the kitchen table. The only time I did quilt was on Saturday nights, because it was so much of a hassle to set up my sewing machine, cutting mat and tools and gather together the fabric I needed which was stashed in three different places in the house. I've had my quilt room (yes, a whole room!) for a few years now and truly appreciate it every time I walk in there.

You will get your own room, too, someday, Kristina. Sometimes we do have to wait what seems like a long time, but it's important to those of us who need to be creative so hang in there!

Sam I Am...... said...

You'll create that time and space for yourself because it's important to you. Love the gorgeous fall pictures and how I wish I could hang clothes outside here.
Enjoy your weekend and your clean stove.