Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Fun Day ~ Tidbits

The younger two were begging to do another "fun" thing while they were on spring break, so Hubby agreed to take them to the zoo.  The aquarium was shut down for a large remodel job, and it just re-opened last week.  


I've been taking the kids to this zoo since they were born.  In fact, I remember taking the day off work, to take my son there for his first birthday.  Oh my gosh, that was 23 years ago.  Sigh....



The zoo removed the small rain forest they had, and put in ceiling to floor fish tanks.  Some can be viewed from both sides.




They also built areas where guests can touch stingrays, horseshoe crabs, and other sea creatures.


Our fifteen year-old touching a stingray.



There were new creatures, such as these sea nettles.

These giant crabs were here before, but now have a new tank.



The one nice part about the new aquarium, is that they put in a water fountain that has a place to fill your water bottle.

A bottle of water here is $3.00.  Even in the machines.  We took water, and I was thrilled to fill it up for free.


Our youngest being goofy.  They have these animal heads hanging, and kids can get photo moments to remember.


There were many animals to see, and the weather was beautiful.

 They now have fancy TV monitors here and there, vs. a written sign.  In fact, the aquarium is filled them them.  The only downfall on this, is you have to stand and wait for it t go through the screen shots to wait and read the one that tells you about the animal.

A polar bear sleeping.






This Mom had a new baby, but photos were hard to get.


 

You can't see them very well, but these are wolves.  There were dingos in another caged area as well.  

They even have goats at this zoo.  We did not see all of it when we left.   I had logged 8,402 steps on my fitbit, and my tooties were killing me.  The kids however, could have walked more, but chose to save the rest of the zoo for another day.  You really could spend a weekend here.  

The funniest part of this day trip, was the kids.  Every photo I attempted to take, those two were taking "selfies" and at one point I tried to photo bomb them.  They were so excited.  The kids haven't been on any day trips for a few years I think, so they were fired up with energy.  We've gone camping nearby, but nothing like this.

I'm glad we took them.  Now that we all had a fun, relaxing day, it's back to reality.  

Garden prep is still put off, as we expect a boat load of rain this week.  I checked on my garlic, and saw all of the 100 are up, but maybe three or four.  I pulled some tall dead flowers that were covering one small flower bed.  I saw that the tulips were up higher than the hyacinths or daffodils. 

Two of us woke up sick the day after this one-day adventure.  Mainly a sore throat, and laryngitis.  One is me.  I have been able to avoid sickness for the longest this winter, and now this.  Hmpf.  I woke up to thunder and more rain, so it's a day with hot tea, gargles, and elixir for me. It could be spring allergies too.  

Thanks for reading through this rather long post today.

10 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

I haven't been to a zoo since mine were little so it was fun for me too! Thanks! Sorry, you're sick though....probably the exposure to so many people and germs! LOL!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, the zoo was fun. I hope to get better soon. Thanks.

Liz said...

I love the zoo! Had fun looking through all of your pics! I can't wait to take the grandson. Hope you feel better!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Liz!

Mama Pea said...

Your post wasn't too long at all! The pictures add so much. Your zoo looks like a good one. Our closest zoo is about 130 miles away, but when our daughter was growing up we took her and a friend there a couple of times.

Sorry to hear you have some nasty cold/flu bugs visiting in your house. But I know you have the natural remedies and knowledge to take care of the situation. I'm not sick, but feel like the hippopotamus in your picture looks. :o/

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, thanks for the chuckle. I hope your energy returns soon.

Susan said...

How wonderful that your kids love going to the zoo! It's so nice to get out and do something different - especially as a family. I loved your photographs.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Susan, my youngest directed me in photo taking the entire day, ha ha! In all I think we took over 100 photos.

Stacey Minter said...

I love your photos. We will be going to the zoo alot this year. My step daughter always wants to go and this year my son will be 1 and he will probably be interested in the animals. Looks like you had fun. Hope you have a good week.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Stacey, thanks. It's been a few years since we've been able to go to this zoo. Now that I look back over photos of the past years, we did take some of them to a drive through animal park too.