Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Moving Day ~ Grilling Out

It was bound to happen. 

Especially since the barn will be torn down (and hopefully soon).  We have a barn salvage company looking at it now.


It was moving day for Orion.  He's too close to the big barn, and he's eaten all his grass in that area.  See all those tall weeds in the back?  That is where we moved his shed.  He was so happy to have more to eat, I had a terrible time getting him to allow me to re-stake him.  I was laughing, because he was in heaven with all that goodness to eat.  He's not a little goat either.  He was acting like a kid in a candy store.


A retake of the event:

"See that strap in the hole of the front?" Hubby asked.

"Yeah."

"Go inside his shed and pull it through, and under the back."

So I go in the stinky thing and make my way back out.

"Now take that and hook it there," he instructs.

This is how it went.  When I finally figured out that he was giving me the orders, so he can stay in the skid loader, out of the rain.  Sneaky, sneaky!




Almost all of my rose bushes got a good load of compost.  Hubby used the skid loader to deliver a bunch to the garden too.  However, the rain kept us from tilling it in, and planting.
 

While Hubby had the borrowed skid loader, he pushed this mess into one pile, so it's not strewn about.  Looks like we'll have plenty of work this summer. 

Rain came and went throughout the remainder of the day.  By 2pm, I had logged over 10,000 steps in outdoor work alone.

Hubby, instead of clothes, put on jammies after his 3pm shower.  He and I were that exhausted, although a good exhausted.  He wanted to grill out and hang out on the porch.

He did just that too.


He made jalapeno/bacon/blue cheese burgers with homemade Thousand Island dressing, and a mix of veggies.  


Although the freezer is dwindling, we still had garden cauliflower, asparagus, parsley and green onions added to it.

Our 15 year-old is now interested in the culinary arts, so she learned to make the homemade dressing last night, as well as a batch of homemade meatballs for the freezer.  She's also very willing to help plant in the garden (but she's the one with the sun allergy too).  She'll just have to help in small bits of time. 

Today is Hubby's birthday, so I told him he needs the day off.  Rain is due again today  - 100% chance.  I'm not sure what special meal we'll have yet.  He mentioned wanting fish tacos or tacos, but we'll see.  I'm not running on all engines today.  I woke up to Hubby pushing my arm around 4am-ish.  He said I was snoring.  Well, duh.  I was exhausted.  Then when I finally fell asleep, his sister called at 5:25am to wish him Happy Birthday.  That woke me up again.  I was up after that.  My advice?  Don't call someone at the crack of dawn to wish them a Happy Birthday.

Maybe I can teach our culinary arts daughter to bake a cake?  I'm sure she got more sleep than me, ha ha!
 


12 comments:

Liz said...

Oh the work you can get done with a borrowed piece of equipment! That burger looks great! Happy Birthday to your hubby! Hope you guys have a great day celebrating!

Amy Dingmann said...

Burgers look delicious! And wasn't that sneaky of him to give orders while he sat in the skid? Sneaky guy...I think they take a class on that in high school or something. ;)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Liz. We hope to get more accomplished after this rain stops. Not sure what we'll do, but Hubby would be happy with reading books on the porch today, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Amy, Hubby is quite the grill man, and gets pretty good with his burgers. He was very sneaking with the rain falling on me, ha ha!

Sam I Am...... said...

Happy Birthday to your hubby! And yes it should be some kind of tacos as it is Cinco De Mayo! LOL!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, we were just talking about that. Maybe he can celebrate with a margarita too. The kids want non-alcoholic margaritas.

Susan said...

What a great day to have a birthday! Calling before 6A with birthday wishes? What was she thinking!?! Hope you can catch some down time today - and how nice that your daughter is interested in cooking. That can only be a good thing!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Well happy birthday to your hubby... I hope he has a good day,
gets cake, and you get to catch up on your sleep!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I'm glad one of the kids is interested, because she can help prepare dinner while I'm canning and whatnot.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Patricia, I think he had a good birthday.

RB said...

Sounds like a very busy day.

While keeping a good eye on the storm system brewing off the Eastern Seaboard, we went and had two new tires put on the newer car. Picked up some thyme and sage seeds. Picked up some thyme and sage plants that we'll plant in a bed with the seeds strewn. Picked up tomato plants - A Grape, a Queen Johnson and a Roma, and also some red, varigated and green leaf lettuce seeds. Luckily we have a long growing season here, and we should get results from them this year.

Hope everyone's having a great week.

God bless.

RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, your garden goodies sound wonderful.