Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Flood Warnings ~ Porch Time

We had pretty good day in the garden, and I am kind of glad we did not get the weeds out between the smaller pepper plans, green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, nor the carrots.  

It's raining again, but today's forecast is 100% rain, heavy rain, windy, flood warnings, and flash flood warnings.  We are to get 1-5 inches of water.  Maybe the weeds will help protect the plants from the wind today?

I also successfully weeded half of the herb garden.  The green onions look terrible this time of year, but I do see little sprouts forming already.  




I picked more berries, cut some oregano, and had a daughter shell peas for me, and clean off the dried thyme.  Overall, it was a pretty good day, all things weather-wise, considered.



The humidity lifted for most of our recent dry days, so porch time has been absolutely wonderful.  Any little bit I get.  I got a teensy bit of porch time yesterday, late afternoon.  The wind was blowing from the east a bit too strong, and the temperature had dropped.  I had to put on a jacket, and it's the end of June.  Craziest weather we have ever had here.




I started making these cup coasters (cotton) to match the doily on one kitchen table.  


I finished the dishcloth and started another too.  Thanks to a dentist appointment, I got more done.  Speaking of the dentist, I have seen everything now.  A woman walked in with her two kids, and sat two chairs from me.  She pulled out her phone, and watched a movie with the sound on.  The office already has a big TV with movies playing around the clock.  All that noise just about made me wait in my car.  I almost gave her the glare (headphones are for that, kind of glare).  What is this world coming too?  While she rudely did that, her girls were watching me knit, and looking curious as to what I was doing. 

I have even spent a teensy bit of time reading my current Hemingway book.  I have to admit, it's getting old.  I'm not sure if I'll read anymore than I have on hand this year.  He's either at a bar, waking up to a drink, going out for a drink, sharing a drink, on a boat with a drink....you get the picture.  After a while that stuff gets monotonous.  Sorry Hemingway.

Writing resumed on the porch too.  Hubby got me motivated.  I'm not sure exactly how, but he did. 

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

One to five inches MORE of rain??! I don't know why you all are not floating by now. How can the ground absorb that much? Well, I guess that's why you're getting flood warnings now. Ugh.

We have a lovely day right now, but rain is forecast for tonight and all day tomorrow. We have enough as is . . . but our conditions are not as bad as yours!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, right now I'm keeping an eye on a field across the street. It's flooding, and if it can't get down to the river behind us, it will flood over the highway, and into our front yard. The wind is not letting up today either. Thankfully, our cauliflower, broccoli, and some cabbage are on higher ground. I'm crossing my fingers from some garden bounty.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Your produce all looks so beautiful! Lots of lovely berries and the peas, well I know they must be so sweet!

Mary said...

That's the thing about Hemingway, I always felt he was over-xs`x rated. Just reading about him reveals he was just another communist elite, my 8th grade western history teacher referred to Hemingway, Ezra Pound, et al.. as belonging to the fascismo school... dissolute elites playing at being men/women of the people, while cozying up to eugenicists & genocidal monsters.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

GratefulPrayer, we may cream some peas this summer yet, and I hope to make pancakes with some of the wild berries too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mary, I read good reviews on the current book, saying it was one of his books that had a real story to it. So far, it is just like the others.

RB said...

I'm surprised there wasn't a sign in the dentist's office about cell phone use, or that one of the administrative staff didn't come out and tell the woman to turn the volume off or use head phones.
It's a shame some of us have to do what their parents should have taught them when children to begin with - but then good parenting skills, common sense, decency and respect aren't as common as they once were either.
We did get rain here finally, lots of gorgeous rain, like we'd prayed for, but we got lightning, hail and high winds too which we didn't pray for. Still, all turned out ok, and we'll praise and thank God for what we got. Now the gardens (and weeds) are really going to jump.
The pond on our cousin's property in Port Clinton, OH has overflowed, sending water surrounding the mobile homes behind his house that he rents out and uses for guest houses for visitors. I hope there's no damage, but had to laugh, cause he said there were fish swimming in his driveway. LOL
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I think we all have to keep our sense of humor regarding weather.