Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Raisin Bread and other tidbits

I decided to bake my first cinnamon-raisin bread. Yes, that is today's big news story.  


This "pioneer" woman has not baked this tasty treat until yesterday.
 


And it was delicious!   Next time we go camping, I am baking up a loaf for making french toast at the campground.  Mmmm!

Thank you Candy at Lazy J Bar C for the recipe.  It smelled so good while it was baking.



Laundry has been in full swing, and we are going through many kitchen towels, and rags lately.

I spent most of the day stocking up some of the onions.  


 Onion soup cooling to put in the freezer.

Dehydrating onions for onion flakes and onion powder.

Only a few rotten ones in the first bunch I brought in. 



The wrens have taken up a second bird house, which is also right at my clothesline and back patio.  Mom is so jealous.  I may have already shared that, so sorry if it's a repeat.

8 comments:

Sandra said...

The raisin bread looks delicious :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sandra!

Mama Pea said...

I love cinnamon-raisin bread, especially for breakfast. I also like to drizzle a white frosting over the top . . . which really fouls up my toaster when I try to make toast from it! The season is coming when I'm going to get back into baking our bread. Can't wait!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, one of the girls made french toast with it this morning, and the house smelled soooo good!

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh yum! I made dough the other day but haven't gotten to making bread with it yet. I usually make a regular loaf and then cinnamon rolls or pizza with the rest but I may have to make some of that cinnamon raisin bread!
I always like to see rags in the laundry as it means I got some cleaning done! LOL!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, cinnamon rolls sound wonderful. I should make them again soon. I should made pizza dough for the freezer too.

RB said...

Looks yummy!!!
Funny story about raisins. Had a friend long ago that had a 3-year old boy who spent a week with his grandparents one summer. Every morning the child and grandpa would get up and eat breakfast together - the boy eating Cheerios and Grandpa eating Raisin Bran as older folks often do. After a few days of this, as Grandpa was getting their breakfast ready, the boy said, "Today I want the cereal you have Grandpa, the one with the flies in it." LOL
Now to take it a little further, the boy's Grandma was famous for her homemade apple pie which she made special by putting a handful of raisins into each one. From that day forward, however, it became known as "Grandma's Fly Cemetery Pie" because of the raisins that dotted it throughout. And here I am still some 30-40 years later, I see anything with raisins in it, and I think back to that story.
Have a good week.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, that is a funny story, thanks for sharing that!