Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Random Tidbits

Well, well, well....car repairs loom over us once again.   Our college daughter who is 2 1/2 hours away, drove home with car problems.

I guess it's time to go car shopping, unless Hub-ster the mechanic can pull miracles today.


I'm not looking forward to buying another car right now as we are coming up on the first payment due to the school for the 8th grade trip to D.C. - third kiddo to go, and quit frankly I am glad  she is the last (expensive). 

Another casualty of the barn project - hay rash.  While knocking out boards below the loft, lots of junk falls out between everything.  Way back before we purchased the homestead, a person had horses in that barn (not us).  They evidently stored the hay in the loft. 

I'm going to need a bio-hazmat suit to continue helping Hubby tear the barn down.  I do have safety glasses, and we keep our heads covered (he has one hard hat too), but I did not have long sleeves, nor did I wrap a bandanna around my neck.  I'm using every medicinal tool I have, but the itch and burn is most unpleasant.  I've used my calendula salve (said to get rid of diaper rash, so I gave it a try, but the itch was still bad), apple cider vinegar, aloe from my aloe plant (which worked best for itch so far), and  tea tree oil/olive mixture.  If any of you have suggestions other than what I'm using, please share.  I am going to brew nettle tea today too.

Oh....and we will be using medical masks from now on.  As for Hubby, he got zero hay rash.   Allergies are never pleasant to have when you homestead.  I'll just have to remember to always have all of my skin covered and a mask every time.

My house is rocking at 8:56am here.  On a Sunday no less.  With our 18 year-old home for just two days, the girls have found entertainment with "Rock Band," which my younger brother donated to them.  For once, they are doing something that does not require the internet, so I'm not complaining. 

2 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Have you tried Calamine Lotion? That's the ONLY thing that stops my insect bites from itching. You can get it over the counter and it's not expensive. No "bad" ingredients in it. Granted, you will look a little strange with the pinkish liquid dabbed on all over your body, but it's maybe worth a try.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, thanks. I have not tried that, and will get some today.