Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Random Tidbits

It rained most of the day yesterday, so the last few outdoor jobs I needed to work on, were put to a halt.   I ended up spending most of my day at the computer.


I don't miss those full-time days I used to sit at my desk and book travel for folks.  I was so focused I didn't realize I had worked all the way through lunch, not eating lunch at all.  I think just sitting made me exhausted by dinner time.  It was something I had to do, and it's done, so I can feel relieved today.

I don't know how I pulled it off, but I had dinner on the table by 5pm.  Hubby and the kids helped me wash potatoes and prepare the broccoli, but I sure made a lot of dirty dishes.  It's been a long time since I made crock pot beef burgundy, and boy was it delicious.  Normally, I used organic beef broth, onions (my homegrown), organic mushrooms, burgundy wine and some spices.  This time, I added a "can" of homemade mushroom soup too.  

My onion supply is dwindling, so I know I'll be needing to buy throughout winter.  A few of the larger ones I sliced for dinner were rotten in the middle (sad face).  I'm so looking forward to a better garden season.

My Dad will get some good meals this week, as I made large dinners the last few days.   If my egg supply is up today, I may scramble some eggs for him too.  Yesterday, the ladies gave me only two eggs.

It was a "computer" day for Hubby too.  He spent all night searching the internet for a car suitable to purchase for our 18-year old.  He also spent time helping our Oldest Daughter search for a new car, as she is car shopping too.   He's exhausted, but that's part of his job as a dad.

Hopefully today will be less computer and more movement.  These creaky old bones need daily exercise, and I think even though I missed lunch yesterday, I gained 10 pounds.



 

2 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Don't worry. You didn't gain ten pounds yesterday! I do know exactly what you mean about how a day spent sitting, using your mind on something you don't want to do but that has to be done, can make you feel lots worse than if you had been doing the hardest physical job. I think this is all the more so for folks who are used to move, move, moving all day.

Your dinner looked delicious. That had to be an upper for everyone around your table!

Here's hoping your good hubby can come up with some solutions in the vehicle department soon. Vehicles are such a necessity, but seem to require constant care and attention. Even when one buys a brand new one (which we never have) there can be lots of glitches!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, everyone loved dinner. I hope my Dad likes his too. Thanks for the good wishes for our vehicle situation(s). We've never bought new either.