Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Saturday Scraps

I'm up early although against my will.  Now that I am dog care taker number one, I have dog duty.  Most days he curls up with me, but today, he was up and begging to go out.  So up I am.

I haven't have enough coffee yet, and already deleted a comment accidentally.  I hope that isn't a sign of how my day will be today, ha ha!


Yesterday I put up the last of the dandelion greens into the freezer.  I was afraid they would go bad before my dehydrator arrived.  And like all things you try to plan, my dehydrator arrived after I froze the last of the greens.  

I put up another two heads of organic cauliflower too.  I don't have a lot of space for ice, so I have to freeze veggies little by little this time of year.

 I brought in another pot full of kale too.  So happy to get this much from it this year.




I got a teensy bit of handiwork time on the porch.  This time of year, is the only time of year, I paint my nails.  It's national novel writing month, and rings and nail bling are my muse this month.  The weather quickly turned colder after the kids got home.  I expect very cold nights this weekend.

Since I had to use pure aloe plant for my rash and hands, I resorted to buying some organic aloe gel too.  My plants are pretty butchered, but in the process of buying the aloe gel, I received an instruction booklet.  I never really looked into all the benefits of aloe.  Did you know it works great for acne? So when a homecoming bound daughter broke out, she used it and in one application, her face was healed.  

Late last night we ended up putting a hen in the bathtub.  She's egg bound.  Anyway, she was perky after her soak, although no egg. We may need to put her in warm water again today.

Hubby had another interruption on cutting down those dead trees.  I just sighed and walked away.  He was required to go to work this morning, so the trees stand.  He knew I'd be worried, mad and frustrated, so he waited to the last minute to tell me.  He was to get up early and go get chainsaw blades today.  This is so frustrating, although I am trying to be patient, but they are a risk to leave standing.  I may just have to pay the high fees and hire someone before the snow arrives.

My licorice root arrived yesterday, so I have another "concoction" recipe I can play around with next week. 

Enjoy your weekend!

 

8 comments:

Kim said...

Sorry to hear the plans were derailed again. Is it possible that someone else might pick up the blades? That way at least the trees might get on the ground before the weekend is over. At least then they are a little safer and can be dealt with as time allows. I did not know that about aloe.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, Hubby texted he knows he won't be home before 3pm, so today's work is tomorrows. If, he gets the blades. He knows what to buy, I do not, unfortunately. I'll have to take a photo of the aloe to share.

Mama Pea said...

Your kale and cauliflower looks wonderful. Kale is really the wonder veggie . . . it bears long after a couple of frosts and, apparently, even when it's under a foot of water for a time!

Aloe really is fantastic, isn't it? Can't be beat for burns and now I know it's good for acne, too. Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes it seems that when we really, really want one job done, the whole world (!) interferes with getting it done. Let's hope the tree cutting really gets done this weekend.

Sam I Am...... said...

You guys are so busy and productive. You need to pat yourselves on the back! I love how your family all works together for the benefit of all. What are you knitting? You should write a book about your self-sufficient lifestyle as there's a big audience out there for that now a days. The veggies look so good! And your nails!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I'm up early to see that those blades are ready. He promised one tree would come down today (Sunday). We'll see. I still have an air conditioner that needs removed, and that's been on the list for a month.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, I finished off knitting a dishcloth, and moved onto more projects. Thanks for the writing encouragement too.

RB said...

The time change has got all the animals confused. The dog wants out before daylight now, and paces and gives several long breathy "harumphs" until Tom gets up and lets him out. It also gets dark so early here now, and they sit about looking at each other as if to say, "Has she forgotten to feed us our supper?" So I've taken to feeding them a half hour early, just to ease them through it.
We're still confused a little bit ourselves, not being hungry at dinner time, suddenly becoming horribly so an hour later, so we're trying to keep that in mind and adjust ourselves.
Sorry to hear about the tree plans getting derailed, but ya never know - it may be God ordained with you finding you need the extra $$$ for an unplanned emergency around the bend.
Praying for a safe happy week ahead for everyone reading this.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I agree on the $$$. It may be needed another time too.