Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, February 12, 2016

Rosemary Infused Wine ~ Tonic Wines

Somewhere, in all those library books I have been borrowing, I got the idea to infuse red wine with rosemary.

Mountain rose herbs has a few more recipes on their site too.  I have no idea why I chose rosemary, but it intrigued me.


I can't recall where I collected the information, so I am back to borrowing books.  In the mean time, I am allowing the wine to sit for 1-3 weeks.  From what I have read, anything left sit longer will be too strong of an infused wine.


Rosemary has so many good qualities for healing that I wanted to try it first, but will try elderberry next I think.  My trees are getting larger, but not producing berries just yet.  

I'm finding that these "tonic wines" can be somewhat like an aperitif, and taken before a meal.

Just when I think I have discovered the last "new" herbal concoction to try, I find another.


7 comments:

Rain said...

I have to admit, I can't imagine the flavour combination. I'm interested to know how it turns out. I've tried berry-infused white wines before, but they were more desserty. I think red wine itself is wonderful, I have a glass every night after dinner as a digestif too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I'll let you know. I read that it should infuse for 3 weeks for a strong flavor. I may try it after 1 week.

Sam I Am...... said...

I love rosemary and I think I would love it in wine too. I usually have a glass of red wine before and with dinner. This sounds intriguing. When my mother was pregnant with me the doctor told her to drink a glass of red wine before dinner to increase her appetite because she was so tiny and I was too. I was 5 pounds at birth. Did it work? Would I have been smaller? We'll never know! LOL! I have made up for lost time though!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, I am quite interested in the taste this wine will have too. That's also interesting the doctor told her to drink the wine for that reason.

RB said...

Sounds interesting. I bet it would be good to cook with too.
God bless.
RB
<><

RB said...

Sounds interesting. I bet it would be good to cook with too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I have thought about cooking with it too.