Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Sunshiny Day! Surprise Mail!

Tuesday I spent less time in the kitchen.  Kind of.  The sun was out and the temperature was nice, so out went the laundry.

Meanwhile, inside, I boiled eggs and baked a few loaves of white bread.  I figured I needed a break at dinner so it was egg salad, homemade bread, salad on the side and whatever fruit we had.  I love the smell of bread baking. 

I was multi-tasking in the kitchen, while the washing machine churned away, and realized I forgot to add the canola oil to the bread.  I had already put it in the dehydrator to rise, when I was putting my dishes away.  There sat the canola oil, already poured into the measuring cup.  

However, the bread baked just fine, tasted, just find, and only had a teensy yellow color to it.  Do you really need that oil in it?  Well, apparently in this recipe, I don't.  I only use a non-gmo/organic canola, so leaving it out would save me money (and fat).



Although the folks who took our Lamancha goats said we could have milk at any time, I'm not one to just ask that often.  I will be asking soon for a bit to make soap, so I'm holding off for now. 

In the meantime, I am buying organic butter.  I save the wrappers, fold them and place them into a sandwich bag in the refrigerator.  I use them to rub the top of my bread loaves after they come out of the oven.  I sometimes have to add more butter, but it saves me from getting waxed paper out and uses that last bit of butter on the wrapper.

I'm so excited to share, that the post lady delivered me a surprise mail package!  So happy!  Even my Vet Tech daughter is interested in the herb/cat/dog book.  Thank you, thank you thank you!

I am hoping to get some porch time soon, and open these books.  It's been very wet here, and too cold to enjoy the outdoors, but things are warming up again.

6 comments:

Susan said...

I LOVE egg salad sandwiches! When I'm desperate, I even make them on GF bread... :)

Mama Pea said...

What a good idea that is to save your butter wrappers! There's always some butter left on them no matter how much you try to scrape it off.

What a nice package of books you got! We've followed Juliette de Bairacli Levy's teachings for a long time and our dogs lived to be 12, 14 and 14 years of age.

I'm still waiting for a warm enough laundry day to start hanging outside. So far, I'd have to do it with mittens on to keep my fingers from freezing. (I have done it with rubber gloves on in years past. No fun though. ;o] )

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, we always look forward to boiled eggs over summer. Seems our supply isn't enough for winter with all these kids here.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, It's been nice to hang laundry out. And it smells so good when I bring it in.

GrannyAnnie said...

Sounds like a great dinner! We love simple dinners like that every now and then. That loaf of bread looks absolutely perfect and totally yummy! I can almost smell its aroma through the screen.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Anna. I need to made some sandwich buns and get them in the freezer. It always saves time at meal time, but hard to do with a large family.